Friday, January 19, 2007

Finca Amiruca


I have spend the last five days eating the most delicious tropical fruit that I never knew existed. There is one called the Abio, the makes my lips sticky and white and is most delicious and sweet, another fruit from a palm that has a crisp texture and and perfect sweet-citrus blend. The Grefa-Mamallacta family who own their farm are plenty, kind, generous and full of knowledge. There are many little babies crawling and crying around. With the two other French volunteers I have worked on cleaning and weeding the starts, they have palms, ornamentals, fruits, and flowers. They are starting to build a new bathroom today as well. The River Hollin is down the hill and I have gone twice now to bathe and swim. The second time we saw rafters at there take out point, and it again occurred to me what a special place this is and what an amazing experience I am having. Life is not a Utopia in the family of course. Kindy, not yet a year old, Mercedes´ youngest, of nine children, has a full bady rash, an allergic reaction from something for which they had to take him to the doctor for an infection. They also make their own medicinal concoctions to spread on his skin. Deidania, 15 had an ingrown toenail and it is a little infected and is making her miserable. Damian is a little over a year, the son of Elsa who is 18 has diarhea and the father of her baby, Ronald lives with them, though he is not an attentive father and they did not plan to be parents so soon. I have lots of itchy bug bites on my feet. I just got back from the doctor in Tena where I found out that my intestines were inflamed because of a bacterial infection from a parasite, so I am now on three medicines to correct this. The past week has been full of wonderful fresh fruit, but I also have been having major stomach issues, and so I came into Tena to take care of it all, and I´m so glad I did. There is lots of love and understanding and energy and people to talk with and learn from here.

No comments: